Each member is responsible to know the rules for the classes, please read through the Lake County Horse Book
- Helmet must have a certification label still in helmet, SEI/ASTM, sticker. Helmets will no longer be checked at shows, but still must adhere to the certifications. It is the responsibility of the rider to have a safe, approved helmet.
- Bits: No twisted wire, check rule book for additional restrictions.
Horse Project Books
There are several record books from which to choose unless the youth member intends to show at the Area D/State Horse Shows. In this case, the Florida 4-H Horse Project Record must be completed, choices include the following:
Note: Youth may only submit one book per year for judging under the horse project category. If a combination of books is completed, they should be submitted together as one project record.
Please refer to our 4H Main Page for the current FYI for all 4H program dates.
Horse Show Sponsor Book
2016 Sponsorship Packet DUE OCTOBER 14, 4pm
The County 4-H Horse Shows are open to Lake County 4-H members only. It is very important to become familiar with the Florida 4-H Horse Show Rule Book as this is strictly adhered to at all our shows. Rule books can be picked up at the 4-H office.
Those who wish to compete beyond the county level have additional requirements!
These are as follows:
- Changes to your horse project registration form are due to the office before December 22nd. All Project horses must be owned by, or leased to the project member/family before this deadline. Horses bought or leased after this date are not eligible to be shown beyond the county in that program year.
- Complete a "Florida 4-H Project Record Book" and submit for county 4-H judging at the proper time.
- Exhibit the particular project horse that will go to the Area D Horse Show at the County 4-H Qualifier Horse Show in the Spring. Note: Other horses may be shown, but the one being taken to Area D must be shown in at least one class at the county show.
- You must attend one (1) of the two (2) mandatory horse safety meetings. Failure to do so will result in ineligibility to enter the County Qualifier Show.
Fall Show - Fall Registration Packet 2016
Qualifier Show - 2017 Spring Qualifier Shows
State Horse Show - Florida Fair Grounds You must earn certain number of points to qualify for Regional.
Horse Advancement Series
The Horse Advancement Series is an optional activity for youth who own or lease a project horse. All youth begin with level 1 and may advance through level 4 if they remain with the project long-term and continue to grown in the knowledge, skill level and horsemanship expertise. When each level has been achieved, a certificate is issued to the member from the county 4-H office. The Advancement Series cannot be submitted in lieu of a Horse Project Book for Area D eligibility.
Instruction will place emphasis on horsemanship and equitation during morning and evening riding sessions. Additional sessions are planned for lecture/demonstration as well as recreation and crafts.
In Horse Judging, youth learn to evaluate a horse's form as it relates to function, and compare it to the ideal as well as to other horses. The added benefit is that it gives youth the opportunity to sharpen their decision making skills and their ability to defend those decisions.
- Back to 4-H