Discovery Gardens Open Third Saturday of the Month
The Discovery Gardens will now be open the third Saturday of each month from 9:00am - 4:00 pm .
Normal hours for the Discovery Garden are Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
The Mission of the Discovery Gardens
- To support the educational mission of the Lake County Extension by creating an exemplary garden facility for hands-on-training
- To create an outstanding visitor attraction - -a well designed botanical garden
- To promote conservation of natural resources by demonstrating environmental friendly practices for gardening and landscaping
- To provide a focal point for all local groups and individuals interested in horticulture
- Lake County'sDiscovery Gardens are an educational resource developed to support programs in horticulture, gardening, landscape design and natural resource management.
Programs are offered for homeowners, garden enthusiasts, educators, children and the horticulture industry. There are self guided tours assisted with brochures and plant labeling. So follow along as we explore each of the garden areas.
First, a little about the Discovery Garden. The Discovery Gardens are located at the Lake County Agriculture Center, 1951 Woodlea Road, Tavares, Florida 32778-4262 and the phone number is (352)343-4101. It is situated on a 3 1/2 acre site made up of 20 major theme gardens, each designed to show a different gardening aspect in Central Florida. It has more than 700 different plants and is dedicated to demonstrating how homeowners can accomplish the landscape they want. All plants are labeled and cultural information is available upon request at the Master Gardener Plant Clinic in the main building.